Delightful Deep-Dish Tomato Pie
Wheat Canola Pastry Crust:
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp light pancake syrup
- 4-1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 chopped green onion(about 4) red onion can also be used
- 1/2 tsp white or black pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a deep-dish pie plate with canola cooking spray. To make crust: Put flours and salt in a mixing bowl and toss to blend. Combine pancake syrup, canola oil and buttermilk in a 2-cup measure and stir with fork to blend.
Pour the canola-oil mixture into the flour mixture and blend with a fork. As soon as the dough holds together, press it evenly into the prepared dish. Build the dough a little thicker around the rim so you can pinch it into scallops if desired. Bake crust in center of oven for 20 minutes.
While pastry is baking, lay tomato slices in a colander in the sink in single layer. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let the tomatoes drain for about 15 minutes.
With the pastry is out of the oven, layer tomato slices, basil and onion inside the pie crust. Sprinkle 1/2-teaspoon white or black pepper evenly over the top.
Combine the shredded cheeses, light mayonnaise and fat-free sour cream in a medium bowl. Spread this mixture on top of the tomatoes filling in crust, and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into wedges, and serve warm. Makes 8 servings.